Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dirty Acronyms--The Aiport codes game

Did you know that it is in the best interest of every flight attendant to know the airport codes of every airport their airlines services? Did you know that this particular airlines services 250 airports, and not all of them have logical names like BWI (Baltimore Washington International) or SAT (San Antonio, Texas)?  Some need fun acronyms to make sense of their strange abbreviations. Por ejemplo, HPN is White Plains, NY (Hated Payin' for New york).
This is the easy week, the test is (rumored) to be much less challenging than the hype for the test, and still I'm making flashcards and associating unknown regional airports with some really inappropriate acronyms.

Being a person who likes to be busy, orientation week for anything is always hard for me.  Being a sociable person who also manages to be highly socially awkward, making friends takes a while.  And of course, Feeling anxious/stressed/lonely/like I never fit in anywhere has made me a little homesick for good old Ann Arbor. 

It's pretty uncommon to hear a Wolverine celebrate her/his exodus from collegiate life.  But I really loved school.  I loved it. I loved it in spite of emotional obstacles.  I loved it in spite of having to watch the priveliged prevail over the talented.  I loved the school so much that I even started loving football. 

While I have a  restless spirit, there is a part of me that loves to come home. I like to cook dinner. I like to make the bed.  I like coffee in the morning from my favorite mug, and the best window with the best view shining light on whatever book I'm reading.  I like being a regular at a bar(s).  The fact that my Pap's photo is still hanging up at the  Meck in Shepherdstown is utterly cool to me.

Of course, the obstacle to this homey attitude is a constant stress that nothing is being accomplished, fear that I am not "doing anything with my young life". If I stay at home for too long, I start to become a monster. 

I suppose its both a matter of managing both sides of the coin, and remembering that most every moment in life is transitional.  The homebody portion of my life is not over, just because I am acclimating to a grifter-like existence. Depending on the day, Living in the now is either really easy  or impossible.   I suppose its just a matter of increasing the percentage of success.  Or at least learning a middle ground.  Alas, I'm a pretty extreme gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment