Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Portrait of a Flight Attendant: Part One.


Our first portrait of a Flight Attendant.

Our first F/A is of one of the many natural born nurturers in this class.   For the sake of anonymity, her name has been changed, but I don’t think it will be hard for anyone who knows “Lucy” to pick her out from the crowd.  She is warm, loving and treats everyone as she would like to be treated.  The first day I met her, she drove me to Wal-mart after I asked how best to cross the highway on foot. She told me that she would want someone to stop her kids from trying to do something so dangerous, so she’d do me (and my mom) a little favor and shuttle me over there.

 That isn’t to say that she is only sweetness and light—Lucy is quirky, spunky and quick with a joke—especially if the laugh is on her.  When I asked her to re-name herself, she decided on Lucy because, like Lucille Ball, our Lucy finds herself in a sticky situation every now and again.  

 I sat down with Lucy and found even more than I was expecting.  In her “real life” she is a devoted mother, grandmother-to-be and artist. She’s a youngest child (just like me), with a strong affinity for family.
 What really struck me by the end of this interview was how straightforward, honest and immediate her responses were.  Lucy knows who she is, what she wants, and what is important to her.  After talking to her, I could not help but compare notes and remember that, as her answers reflect, Love is ultimately the most important part of life. 
According to Lucy, home is wherever her family is—location is secondary. Although Lucy’s life has not been without loss or struggle, she manages to find her joy in the love of others. With funny bone in tact, she creates a warm and comforting atmosphere, making us all feel a little bit more at home at the charm farm.

~~~   ~~~   ~~~

When you wake up, and you have nothing to do that day, what makes you get out of bed?
--You’ll learn this, a mother’s work is never done. My to-do list for the day gets me out of bed, because with kids, there is always something to be done.

--Tell me three things you know about life.
Never take anything for granted.  Find humor in every situation. Live it. To the fullest.

--where is the best place you have traveled?
Anywhere I went with my sister.  We used to travel together and have the most fun. 


--Tell me three things you know about love.
­Honesty. Passion. Desire.
(I like this one because instead of giving me “love” advice, she handed me a recipe, a little checklist for what ought to be present. Not what should isn’t there, rather a list of what is.)

Who was your childhood best friend? Are you still best friends?
We are still best friends.  She was the first person I met on my first day of third grade in a new town at a new school. She talked to me because she thought my brother was cute.
(This reminds me of how my best friend Kyle is in love with my mom, except its way less creepy.)

more to come! I promise I’m alive! Last week was a seriously long week (if you don’t believe me, ask Lucy)


No comments:

Post a Comment